2009 Tour of California to cross Golden Gate Bridge
Amgen Tour of California race organizer AEG announced the 16 start and finish cities for the 2009 edition of the Tour of California today.
Eight new locations have been added to the list of host cities. The new cities — Davis, Santa Cruz, Merced, Clovis, Visalia, Paso Robles, Rancho Bernardo and Escondido — join Sacramento, Santa Rosa, Sausalito, San Jose, Modesto, Solvang, Santa Clarita and Pasadena as host cities along the route.
“Each year, we strive to make the Amgen Tour of California better,” said Andrew Messick, president of AEG Sports, presenter of the race. “And after getting input from riders and fans last year, we decided to expand the race to better showcase the great state of California. We are delighted to have such a great overall mix of cities partnering with us for the 2009 Amgen Tour of California and are pleased to include the eight new stops, along with so many of our old friends.”
“This year is a year of exciting firsts for us,” Messick continued. “For the first time, the Amgen Tour of California will take place over nine days, we will make our first visit to the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada and visit San Diego County for what promises to be another exciting conclusion to the race.”
Beginning with a road stage (a first for the race), which both starts and ends in Sacramento, through the grand finale in Escondido, the 2009 race will visit 16 host cities for official stage starts and finishes, while other cities along the route also will have the opportunity to witness the excitement of elite professional cycling. Stages for the 2009 Amgen Tour of California include:
* Stage 1: Saturday, Feb. 14 – Sacramento
* Stage 2: Sunday, Feb. 15 – Davis to Santa Rosa
* Stage 3: Monday, Feb. 16 – Sausalito to Santa Cruz via the Golden Gate Bridge
* Stage 4: Tuesday, Feb. 17 – San Jose to Modesto
* Stage 5: Wednesday, Feb. 18 – Merced to Clovis
* Stage 6: Thursday, Feb. 19 – Visalia to Paso Robles
* Stage 7: Friday, Feb. 20 – Solvang (individual time trial)
* Stage 8: Saturday, Feb. 21 – Santa Clarita to Pasadena
* Stage 9: Sunday, Feb. 22 – Rancho Bernardo to Escondido