Pet blog

This is Reese late last night on the floor of the 24 hour emergency vet clinic in Santa Cruz.

Goodbye, Reese

Reese became suddenly and profoundly ill yesterday and Sara called the vet yesterday morning. A full panel of diagnostic tests told us she was suffering major organ failure and there wasn’t much we could do. We made the decision to euthanize Reese. The entire family said our goodbyes to our pet last night. The whole family was bawling. She was gone about 30 minutes after I snapped this photo.

Reese — a chow/German shepherd mix — is easily the best dog we’ve ever had. She was amazingly intelligent, very kind and gentle, (mostly) obedient, playful and just a wonderful dog. We all loved her. She was only about four years old when she passed.

Please excuse this weepy self indulgence, though to keep things in perspective there’s also this. This will likely be my only post today. You can see more photos of Reese in my Flickr photo stream.

Panda with Dog

Ivy and Reese

• Tim Jackson
    June 3, 2008 - 10:29 am | Permalink

I wish you and your family the best with this.

• Tim Jackson
    June 3, 2008 - 5:29 pm | Permalink

My heart is with you and your family, my friend. Never easy to say goodbye to a loved one. I wish you and your family the best with this.

June 3, 2008 - 10:59 am | Permalink

I recently lost the best friend I ever had and I understand your loss.

I'm so sorry.

June 3, 2008 - 5:59 pm | Permalink

I recently lost the best friend I ever had and I understand your loss. I'm so sorry.

• Spirit of the Season
    June 3, 2008 - 11:22 am | Permalink

So sorry to hear about your loss.

• Spirit of the Season
    June 3, 2008 - 6:22 pm | Permalink

So sorry to hear about your loss.

• End Pavement
    June 3, 2008 - 11:56 am | Permalink

We lost one of our cats over the weekend. It's amazing how much space these little furballs take up in our heads and hearts. Be well!

• End Pavement
    June 3, 2008 - 6:56 pm | Permalink

• Jennifer
    June 3, 2008 - 11:57 am | Permalink

Goodbye, Reese.

• Jennifer
    June 3, 2008 - 6:57 pm | Permalink

Goodbye, Reese.

• Tracy H.
    June 3, 2008 - 12:12 pm | Permalink

What a sweet girl! Our pets give us so much and leave us too soon.

Thinking of you and thanks for sharing the pics.

• Tracy H.
    June 3, 2008 - 7:12 pm | Permalink

What a sweet girl! Our pets give us so much and leave us too soon. Thinking of you and thanks for sharing the pics.

• bikesgonewild
    June 3, 2008 - 12:24 pm | Permalink

…oh man fritz, that kind of thing is really hard…my best to you & the family…

• bikesgonewild
    June 3, 2008 - 7:24 pm | Permalink

…oh man fritz, that kind of thing is really hard…my best to you & the family…

• James T.
    June 3, 2008 - 1:23 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear about Reese.

• James T.
    June 3, 2008 - 8:23 pm | Permalink

Our dog just died about a month ago. He was nearly 17, so we knew it was coming, but it was still very tough for the kids. OK, I admit it was tough for me too; they do become part of the family.Sorry to hear about Reese.

• 295bus
    June 3, 2008 - 1:28 pm | Permalink

Hang in there, Fritz.

• 295bus
    June 3, 2008 - 8:28 pm | Permalink

Hang in there, Fritz.I had to say goodbye to a cat a little while ago, still miss her (all the ones before her, too, actually).

• Chris
    June 3, 2008 - 2:33 pm | Permalink

My heart goes out to you and yours. We put my dog down earlier this year. I cried for several days. I still get choked up with I see a chocolate lab.

• Chris
    June 3, 2008 - 9:33 pm | Permalink

• Carolyn
    June 3, 2008 - 3:33 pm | Permalink

My heart goes out to you and your family. I'm really sorry for your loss.

• Carolyn
    June 3, 2008 - 10:33 pm | Permalink

My heart goes out to you and your family. I'm really sorry for your loss.

• brother yam
    June 3, 2008 - 4:56 pm | Permalink

Posting about the loss of your dog is never "weepy self indulgence." Pets hold such a special place in the lives of their companions that there is no better way to grieve than to share. A lot of us have lost a buddy and we know it hurts.

• brother yam
    June 3, 2008 - 11:56 pm | Permalink

• cafiend
    June 3, 2008 - 5:39 pm | Permalink

Aw man! I lost my own dog after almost a dozen years of adventuring on mountain and river. My thoughts are with you.

• cafiend
    June 4, 2008 - 12:39 am | Permalink

• Nathan
    June 3, 2008 - 7:55 pm | Permalink

Losing a pet friend is very hard. My thoughts are with you and your family. We lost ours 2 years ago and it's still sad.

• Nathan
    June 4, 2008 - 2:55 am | Permalink

• jessica
    June 3, 2008 - 9:56 pm | Permalink

i'm sorry to hear it. that's very sad.

are you getting a new dog?

• jessica
    June 4, 2008 - 4:56 am | Permalink

i'm sorry to hear it. that's very sad.are you getting a new dog?

• steephill
    June 3, 2008 - 11:35 pm | Permalink

That's sad. Dogs are the best. My Golden Retriever, Ed, who's sitting beside me, passes along his condolences and says you should get another one when the pain wears off. Reese in Peace.

• steephill
    June 4, 2008 - 6:35 am | Permalink

• Ah Pook (Eric S)
    June 4, 2008 - 4:01 am | Permalink

i'm so, so sorry to hear about this.

• Ah Pook (Eric S)
    June 4, 2008 - 11:01 am | Permalink

i'm so, so sorry to hear about this.

• Abhi
    June 4, 2008 - 5:50 am | Permalink

I can understand how you must be feeling, since I lost Dipsy a while back too to organ failure. Its hard to put them down, but its selfish to keep them alive, when nothing else is possible. I still feel bad sometimes.

• Abhi
    June 4, 2008 - 12:50 pm | Permalink

• Donna T.
    June 4, 2008 - 6:28 am | Permalink

My thoughts are with you all.

• Donna T.
    June 4, 2008 - 1:28 pm | Permalink

I couldn't say it any better than Bother Yam…posting about Reese is one way to remember her. That last photo of her with your daughter is a precious one!My thoughts are with you all.

• Paul Dorn
    June 4, 2008 - 9:38 am | Permalink

Fritz: My condolences. I lost my own dog Muki Jacques just over a year ago–after 13+ incredible years, that dog lived for adventure: beach, woods, parks–and still grieve and miss him terribly. I'm sorry for your loss and wish you the best. Paul

• Paul Dorn
    June 4, 2008 - 4:38 pm | Permalink

• Illinoisfrank
    June 5, 2008 - 9:29 am | Permalink

Oh, and his name was Reese. Imagine that.

• Illinoisfrank
    June 5, 2008 - 4:29 pm | Permalink

My condolences to you and your family, Fritz. Around 5 years ago, we had to put our nearly 20-year-old cat to sleep after he got progressively more sick over the last two years of his life. Even though we knew it was going to happen some day, we were all crushed when his time finally came. Oh, and his name was Reese. Imagine that.

• best friend
    June 9, 2008 - 9:27 pm | Permalink

I am So sorry to hear about your loss.

• best friend
    June 10, 2008 - 4:27 am | Permalink

I am So sorry to hear about your loss.