Sheldon Brown

Sheldon Brown aka “Captain Bike” aka Carapace Completed Umber passed last night of a massive heart attack.

Sheldon Brown RIP

I’ve communicated with him numerous times on Usenet and via email, but the closest I came to meeting him was seeing him from across the floor at Interbike. The man was a wonderful wonderful soul, very giving and kind with his knowledge and expertise and with a fantastic sense of humor.

I’m saddened to hear of his loss; I feel like I’ve lost a close friend.

In his last journal entry last night he endorses Obama for the Massachusetts Democratic primary. In his last post on BikeForums, he’s helping somebody out with a question on freewheel threading.

Via numerous sources, though I think I saw it at Jim G’s blog first.

• James T.
    February 4, 2008 - 1:04 pm | Permalink

• James T.
    February 4, 2008 - 8:04 pm | Permalink

Very sad news. Sheldon was a wealth of cycling knowledge and will be missed by many of us who never had the opportunity to meet him face to face.I only communicated with him by email a few times, but I agree with your statement Fritz. He was a wonderful, kind, giving soul.

• bikesgonewild
    February 4, 2008 - 1:37 pm | Permalink

…having never met sheldon, my impression of him was not so much his wonderful knowledge but the fact that he was so giving of it…

• bikesgonewild
    February 4, 2008 - 8:37 pm | Permalink

• Jared
    February 4, 2008 - 1:52 pm | Permalink

He will definitely be missed. I never met him, but I corresponded with him on a couple of occasions via e-mail. He was always very helpful and knowledgeable.

• Jared
    February 4, 2008 - 8:52 pm | Permalink

• Donna T.
    February 4, 2008 - 2:19 pm | Permalink

OMG – didn't know this until I saw your Facebook status. We all mourn his passing at Kryptonite…

• Donna T.
    February 4, 2008 - 9:19 pm | Permalink

February 4, 2008 - 5:53 pm | Permalink

Jack

February 5, 2008 - 12:53 am | Permalink

A thoughtful, dedicated and generous cyclist, he will be greatly missed. He shared his knowledge willingly and offered great resources. He will always be a cycling god IMO. Thanks Sheldon and R.I.P.Jack

• John A. Ardelli
    February 4, 2008 - 10:28 pm | Permalink

• John A. Ardelli
    February 5, 2008 - 5:28 am | Permalink

I was taken by surprise by how hard hearing about his death hit me. So, I decided to write down the thoughts in my head in a posting on my personal blog.Is it crazy to mourn the passing of someone you never really knew? If so, I guess I'm crazy; I can't help this horrible feeling of loss.

• pedaleiro
    February 5, 2008 - 12:45 am | Permalink

I totally agree with Mr. Ardelli. I didn't know or had meet him but his site was in my bookmarks since I started to bike. Rest in peace, Sheldon.

• pedaleiro
    February 5, 2008 - 7:45 am | Permalink

February 5, 2008 - 4:31 am | Permalink

R.I.P Sheldon.

All respect from denmark to the best bike mechanic in the world.

regards

February 5, 2008 - 11:31 am | Permalink

R.I.P Sheldon.All respect from denmark to the best bike mechanic in the world.regards

• Michael
    February 5, 2008 - 10:50 am | Permalink

I met him at Interbike back in 2006 and he was a great guy to meet.

Heaven has one hell of a mechanic now.

• Michael
    February 5, 2008 - 5:50 pm | Permalink

I met him at Interbike back in 2006 and he was a great guy to meet.Heaven has one hell of a mechanic now.