Cable lock fail

Seen this week in San Jose, California — this cleanly cut thin cable lock.

Cut cable lock

• karmaguy
    May 23, 2009 - 1:08 am | Permalink

To that, I would like to suggest, BAD KARMA To Bike Thieves. Check out KarmaArmy.com to fight back and send a message to Bike Thieves. It's just wrong. Thanks.

• karmaguy
    May 23, 2009 - 1:08 am | Permalink

• karmaguy
    May 22, 2009 - 6:08 pm | Permalink

To that, I would like to suggest, BAD KARMA To Bike Thieves.

Thanks.

• Tommy Williams
    May 23, 2009 - 1:53 am | Permalink

I always have a cable lock with me on my bike just because it's light enough that I don't think about it. I only use it for quick trips into the grocery store but even then–and even here in the East side of the lake from Seattle where bike theft is low–I worry.The problem: my other lock is a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock that weighs about 5 lbs. It's great protection but I just don't want to haul it around all the time.I suppose I should buy a cheaper, lighter u-lock to use instead of the cable lock.

• Tommy Williams
    May 22, 2009 - 6:53 pm | Permalink

• End Pavement
    May 23, 2009 - 2:27 am | Permalink

Is there a consensus on the best method(s) for securing one's bike nowadays? Obviously it depends on the neighborhood and other factors, but in general.

• End Pavement
    May 22, 2009 - 7:27 pm | Permalink

May 24, 2009 - 1:10 am | Permalink

Best Bike Locks – 2005 Tests http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=101597 good info and has current comments.

May 24, 2009 - 1:10 am | Permalink

May 23, 2009 - 6:10 pm | Permalink

Best Bike Locks – 2005 Tests http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=101597
    good info and has current comments.

• m e l i g r o s a
    May 25, 2009 - 11:15 pm | Permalink

eeek. a daily sight here in SF! :/

• m e l i g r o s a
    May 25, 2009 - 4:15 pm | Permalink

eeek. a daily sight here in SF! :/

May 26, 2009 - 4:41 am | Permalink

Tommy: I had the NY Chain that weighs something like 20 lbs. It's so unwieldy that I carried it once, and then I gave it away as a prize during NAHBS 2008 in Portland, OR.Thanks for that info, Anon 7:10.End Pavement – send me a note if you write that article and I'll link to it :-)Meli: My wife is going up to the city in the morning for a conference and she's not bringing her bike specifically because theft is a problem there. It'll be BART to Powell St Station and then walk to the Marriot for her.

May 26, 2009 - 4:41 am | Permalink

May 25, 2009 - 9:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that info, Anon 7:10.

End Pavement – send me a note if you write that article and I'll link to it :-)