Dirt Series: She’s the pretty cyclist

I took some photos over the weekend of the Dirt Series women’s mountain bike skills clinic in Santa Cruz at the invitation of local travel writer Karen Kefauver. Karen’s a real sweetheart, a lot of fun to be around, and very enthusiastic about everything she does. She faceplanted into a sandpit while racing at the Sea Otter Classic the other weekend and laughed through the whole episode.

I’m just a hack with a blog and a camera, but Karen is a professional journalist who does research, checks facts and takes notes. She told me Olympic medalist Jill Kintner was at this clinic and asked me to take photos of her.

“Okay,” I say. “Where’s Jill at?”

Karen, with a completely straight face, tells me, “Jill is the real pretty one. Bye!” and then Karen goes back to her group for more mountain biking instruction.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am in a field surrounded by 60 athletic, stunningly beautiful women on bicycles, and Karen tells me to find “the real pretty one.” Uh huh.

Dirt Series in Santa Cruz: Mountain Bike Skills Clinic for Women

Dirt Series Women's Mountain Bike Clinic

Dirt Series in Santa Cruz: Mountain Bike Skills Clinic for Women

Karen writes about her experience at the Dirt Series mountain bike skills clinic in Santa Cruz. Drop by and tell her hello!

More: Pink pink pink pink Gnat.

• Erik Orgell
    April 27, 2009 - 9:47 am | Permalink

Oh, I feel so, so bad for you! Haha!

• Erik Orgell
    April 27, 2009 - 4:47 pm | Permalink

Oh, I feel so, so bad for you! Haha!

• getinlost
    April 27, 2009 - 10:38 am | Permalink

That is REALLY unfortunate. I for one appreciate the sacrifices you endure for those of use who are less blessed. Did you ever sort out which one was Klitner?

• getinlost
    April 27, 2009 - 5:38 pm | Permalink

• Karen Kefauver
    April 27, 2009 - 1:43 pm | Permalink

For the record, all the women that weekend were gorgeous! I thought Jill had a special glow about her that day. Also, I confess it was the first Olympic medalist I have met and been coached by!

• Karen Kefauver
    April 27, 2009 - 8:43 pm | Permalink

• May 23, 2010 - 7:08 pm | Permalink

Oh how sad! I’m glad she was able to laugh off face planting. I’m not sure I would be able to take that so gracefully. Looks like she’s really enjoying her life, that’s wonderful. I think doing what makes you happy in life is the most important thing of all