Transport: A longtail from Trek!

Trek’s announcement of their 2011 Gary Fisher Collection line includes the “Transport” and “Transport+”, longtail cargo bicycles with foldup loading racks in the rear, front rack, huge cargo bags, and front porteur rack.

Trek Transport Longtail Cargo Bike

The aluminum framed 21 speed Transport cargo bike includes front fender with mudflap, front and rear lights designed into the bike (!), and a wide stance kickstand. Front disc brake and rear V-brake stop the bike, rider and load.

The Trek Transport+ is the Transport with electric assist! The battery slides under the rear deck; a 350 watt rear hub motor powers you along.

Trek Transport+ detail of battery and motor

You might recall the Gary Fisher El Ranchero long bike that Fisher’s designers created as a concept in 2008. The Transport bikes clearly take design elements from that experiment, though it drops the El Ranchero’s second child saddle while adding a nice front rack.

• Wuss912
    June 16, 2010 - 11:26 am | Permalink

too bad it dosent have disk ….

• Mongo
    June 16, 2010 - 11:30 am | Permalink

@Wuss912: It has *a* disc (on the front).

• EricW
    June 16, 2010 - 1:26 pm | Permalink

Have 10 year old Trek Electrek bike. Panasonic motor at pedals works great – have to make my own batteries now. Nice to see Trek is testing electrics again. Seems like they forgot some – the battery way out back is a balance issue!

EricW

• June 16, 2010 - 10:34 pm | Permalink

The front rack should be attached to the frame, and not the steering. I thought everybody knew that now… :)

• markstos
    June 17, 2010 - 6:00 am | Permalink

Looks like too much rack extension beyond the rear axle. The Yuba Mundo appears to have a longer wheel base, and does not extend the rack so far:

• Pingback: Transport+ from Trek’s Gary Fisher Collection | Bicycle Design

• June 17, 2010 - 10:50 am | Permalink

I noticed that as well and wondered how they plan to keep the front wheel on the ground. Probably will have to bias loads to the front of that rear rack, or put some bricks on the front rack :-)

• June 17, 2010 - 10:51 am | Permalink

Eric, I didn't mention it here but Trek announced Ride Plus ebikes last year.

• Jamesmallon
    June 17, 2010 - 3:22 pm | Permalink

Looks interesting, but reminds me of something that annoys me about this bike’s racks, and after-market racks from almost all makers: why leave so much clearance above the tires and fenders that cannot possibly be used, when lower racks would lower the centre of balance of the load, and improve handling. Looks like the frame here is better designed for 29/700 wheels. Wheels which the Kona Ute has, and rear-rack height better done, whether or not you like the rest of the bike.

• Todd
    June 18, 2010 - 10:20 am | Permalink
  • June 18, 2010 - 10:51 am | Permalink

Did somebody make a claim of innovation?

• Todd
    June 18, 2010 - 11:18 am | Permalink

No. I find it dismaying, however, when a company with such resources enters an emergent market with such a plainly derivative design. I expect innovation more than me-too cash-in mashup of existing designs at this stage of market development.

• doug_in_seattle
    June 22, 2010 - 12:46 am | Permalink

Unfortunately, production bikes are often poorly designed. Thus the market for custom bikes and equipment.

• doug_in_seattle
    June 22, 2010 - 12:47 am | Permalink

With proper geometry, there is no problem with fork mounted weight. In some situations, it is actually preferable.

• Dsfarrell
    August 18, 2010 - 3:58 pm | Permalink

I don't need one of these…but DAMN do I want one!

• August 20, 2010 - 9:09 am | Permalink

damn it looks great im going to get one for myself however i will have to wait a while becouse my litlle baby is at bicycle motor they are doing chromming to it so i hope it will loke cool and with this well i think it will look even better

• August 20, 2010 - 9:16 am | Permalink
  • August 29, 2010 - 8:48 am | Permalink

I recently compared the Transport+ with Kona's Electric Ute and Yuba's elMundo here: http://mycargobike.net/2010/08/23/electric-ute-…. I'm excited that a major manufacturer like Trek is going to expand the market for electrically-assisted cargo bikes.

Regarding the weight distribution issue: During hard braking, I've found it advantageous to have weight on the back wheel so the rear tire can do its share of the braking. Depending on the center of gravity of your bike and cargo, the front tire usually does more than its share, and it's more likely that the unloaded rear tire will skid. I'm interested to hear more about the experience of others in this regard. I have articles about my braking experiments elsewhere on my blog.

• August 29, 2010 - 3:48 pm | Permalink

I recently compared the Transport+ with Kona’s Electric Ute and Yuba’s elMundo here: http://mycargobike.net/2010/08/23/electric-ute-official-debut-trek-coming. I’m excited that a major manufacturer like Trek is going to expand the market for electrically-assisted cargo bikes.rnrnRegarding the weight distribution issue: During hard braking, I’ve found it advantageous to have weight on the back wheel so the rear tire can do its share of the braking. Depending on the center of gravity of your bike and cargo, the front tire usually does more than its share, and it’s more likely that the unloaded rear tire will skid. I’m interested to hear more about the experience of others in this regard. I have articles about my braking experiments elsewhere on my blog.

• November 11, 2010 - 5:31 pm | Permalink

I had the day off yesterday, and just got to work to find a still-in-the-box 17″ waiting to be built. Photos and my thoughts to follow.

• Siouxgeonz
    November 29, 2010 - 7:43 pm | Permalink

If the load is in the bags and the sides, that’s not an issue.

• February 25, 2011 - 12:43 am | Permalink
  • September 17, 2014 - 1:25 am | Permalink

bike looks amazing, i’d be glad to have one.