Utility cycling

How do you use your bike?

Men transport huge stacks of wood with their bicycles in Vavuniya, Sri Linka.

Two men transport wood on their bicycles in Vavuniya, about 260 km (161 miles) from Colombo, August 14, 2010. Picture taken August 14, 2010. REUTERS/Dinuka Liyanawatte (SRI LANKA - Tags: CIVIL UNREST POLITICS SOCIETY)

Josh of Utility Cycling writes on the various ways to utilize your bike. Beyond commuting and general transportation, he mentions food and package delivery, grocery getting, and emergency services bikes.

How do you use your bike?

• August 16, 2010 - 11:47 am | Permalink

I use my bike like this (and related jobs):

• August 16, 2010 - 12:31 pm | Permalink

I use my bike to get around town. I would like a cargo bike or something similar. Computers are just to large for by little basket.

• August 16, 2010 - 12:55 pm | Permalink

What kind of computers, Luke?

• Siouxgeonz
    August 18, 2010 - 6:17 am | Permalink

I couldn't use it stacking stuff that high, that's for sure, but I do use it for just about any transportation — oh, yea, and blending snow cones and margaritas.

• D. Mohney
    August 18, 2010 - 7:24 am | Permalink

I use my bike to escape household chores, diminish stress, and enjoy peaceful time to myself, while contemplating what matters most on any particular day.

• Pingback: Analysis of Google’s Bike-There Feature: Part III | Utility Cycling

• Dayworks
    October 11, 2010 - 3:21 am | Permalink

I’ve been doing my bit to facilitate more utility biking her in the US. I’ve been making affordable cargo trailers with recycled materials in Minneapolis. To find out more you can check out http://www.redbiketrailer.com. I think trailers are a good way to turn existing bicycles into haulers (and back again if you just want to ride) Of course the the dedicated hauling bike are fine products but expensive and not everybody cares for the ride when they are unloaded

• October 11, 2010 - 6:01 pm | Permalink

I like your little red bike trailer — and only $86!