- Joe, a cop who’s also a Cat 3 road racer and Cat B Cyclocross racer.
- Brigitte, a racer who commutes on a $7000 Serotta.
- Mr. Pudge, a ratty overweight dirtbag in sneakers who stole Brigitte’s bike right off of the light rail train.
- Matthew, the guy who saw Brigitte’s bike at a Wells Fargo ATM and snapped a photo of Mr. Pudge with the bike.
Sgt. Joe got the ATM transaction information from Wells Fargo, got his address from the DMV, gave Mr. Pudge a visit and retrieved the bike. Read the whole story at Velo Review.
Finally, Sgt Joe’s tips on identifying stolen bikes:
- Someone riding a bike that has clipless pedals wearing tennis shoes.
- A tweeker riding a custom titanium Serotta cross bike.
- Joshua Hutchens of Cyclepath has a good tactic of yelling “Hey that’s my bike” and seeing if the guy takes off running. We call that a clue.
And I call that good detective work.