Sanyo Eneloop electric bicycle

Sanyo Eneloop electric assist bicycle: “Ene + Loop” describes “energy looping” features: regenerative charging, pedal assist bicycle.

Sanyo Eneloop electric bicycle

Sanyo launched their Eneloop ebike to the North American market today at Interbike. The Eneloop bike is expected to be available through independent bicycle dealers and specialty retailers throughout the United States beginning in November 2009, with a suggested retail price starting at $2,299.

Regenerative battery charging can be done by braking and by going downhill to extend the bike’s range.

bicycle brake lever The eneloop bike is a 26-inch, three-speed regenerative, pedal-assist hybrid electric bicycle. As such, riders can propel the eneloop bike under their own power or can engage the bike’s motor and electrical system to pedal in one of three assist modes – standard, power-up or auto – where the front hub-based motor helps the bicycle and rider travel forward.

As with similar ebikes, power and mode are selected from a handlebar mounted panel switch. The Sanyo eneloop is somewhat unique in that the bike lights are integrated with the other electronics of the bike; other ebikes tend to have lighting as a separate system if they’re included at all.

ebike switch

Sanyo Eneloop bike motor
As with most other ebikes, the power assist comes from a hub motor. The motor, mounted in the front hub, is a 250 watt DC brushless motor.

Sanyo claims the Eneloop bike motor can provide as much as twice the effort as you put into pedaling, while previous pedal assist bikes provide about a 1:1 assist ratio. A torque sensor at the rear wheel senses the pedal power and adjusts the powered wheel output accordingly.

Sanyo Eneloop electric bicycle

Some features of the eneloop bicycle:

• 25.9 volt/5.7 Ampere-hour(Ah) lithium-ion battery
  • Charge time ~ 3.5 hours
  • Total bike weight ~ 50 pounds (about typical of hybrid ebikes)
  • Taillight brake lamp – High-intensity, flashing LED tail lamp that operates when the headlight is turned on and flashes faster when braking
  • Handlebar panel switch
  • Low frame and saddle design to allow easy step-through and mounting
  • Seat that accommodates 26-inch framing
  • Neatly-designed frame with internal cabling

Sanyo Eneloop electric bicycle

Expected riding distances:

• Up to 17 miles in Standard Mode – no charging while riding (with the motor engaged)
  • Up to 20 miles in Power-Up Mode – regenerative charging via braking only
  • Up to 40 miles in Auto Mode – full regenerative charging

Sanyo Eneloop electric bicycle

More: Sanyo Eneloop Bike.

September 23, 2009 - 6:25 pm | Permalink

Regenerative braking is overated. You do get some energy back, but very little. You get a lot of marketing punch, though.For a detailed analysis (i.e. the numbers) seehttp://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7891&p=119201&hilit=analysis+of+regen+on+an+ebike#p119201

September 23, 2009 - 6:25 pm | Permalink

September 23, 2009 - 11:25 am | Permalink

For a detailed analysis (i.e. the numbers) see

• Wuss912
    September 23, 2009 - 7:16 pm | Permalink

the slides remind me of the movie lost in translation…. More Intensity…..

• Wuss912
    September 23, 2009 - 12:16 pm | Permalink

the slides remind me of the movie lost in translation…. More Intensity…..

September 23, 2009 - 9:35 pm | Permalink

@Anon 12:25 – I agree, but it's something people are always asking about. Still, I'm amazed Sanyo decided to go this route.@Wuss912 and I already chatted about "intensity" on Twitter.

September 23, 2009 - 9:35 pm | Permalink

September 23, 2009 - 2:35 pm | Permalink

@Wuss912 and I already chatted about "intensity" on Twitter.

• Jeff
    October 5, 2009 - 5:49 am | Permalink

This is a great bike, Ii would fit anyone who likes to ride in the sunset electric bikes

• Jeff
    October 4, 2009 - 10:49 pm | Permalink

• SiouxGeonz
    November 13, 2009 - 3:19 pm | Permalink

So… would this with slick marketing seduce people onto bicycles with motors– and then, perhaps, we can seduce them onto bicycles without them and they find out how easy it is to pedal a bike without a honkin' motor weighing it down? Sounds like the American weigh…

• SiouxGeonz
    November 13, 2009 - 3:19 pm | Permalink

• SiouxGeonz
    November 13, 2009 - 8:19 am | Permalink

November 13, 2009 - 7:00 pm | Permalink

@Sioux: I can imagine the day when I can't exert quite the effort I once did, so I can appreciate a little boost. Unfortunately, I think everybody I see on e- and gas assist bikes are all younger than me.

November 13, 2009 - 7:00 pm | Permalink

November 13, 2009 - 12:00 pm | Permalink

• Pingback: Eneloop Bike, las bicicletas de uso público de Sanyo | Blog Gadgets

• March 17, 2010 - 6:52 pm | Permalink

i don't get the idea of applying electricity with bikes…

• Pingback: Eneloop Bike, las bicicletas de uso público de Sanyo | TecnoBlog

• March 18, 2010 - 9:57 am | Permalink

@Moto: Mostly it's to enable people to put some effort into their transportation, but still get an assist. Very helpful for the elderly, for example, and others with mobility issues.

• R-Ken
    December 14, 2010 - 5:21 am | Permalink

Hi Dear All,
    My name R-Ken, the owner of MGT Trading Co., Ltd, who was imported electric bike from China to Cambodia market, we sale and mainternance.

After i was looking on the SANYO100 (Eneloop) electric bike of Japan, i will imported and sales for people to use it. I like people using product (Green Revolution).

Hope all people, trying to use the product that save the earth.

Thanks with regards
    R-Ken
    MGT Trading Co., Ltd
    ———————–
    Show room#289-291Eo, St 274, Songkat Vealvong, Khan 7makara, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
    Tel/Fax: (855) 023 996948
    Mobile: (855) 012 889918/ (855) 88 9999918 (855) 15 400 555/ (855) 98 58 7777
    ———————–
    E-mail: ken8899@citylink.com.kh/ ken8899.mgt@gmail.com
    MSN: r-ken8899@hotmail.com
    SKYPE: ken8899-skype
    YAHOO: rottana8899@yahoo.com
    Faceebook: keo rottana

• R-Ken
    December 14, 2010 - 5:21 am | Permalink

Hi Dear All,

Hope all people, trying to use the product that save the earth.

Thanks with regards