About Cyclelicious

cy·cle n. A wheeled vehicle that has two wheels and is moved by foot pedals [syn: bicycle, bike, wheel].

-ious suffix. Characterized by, full of.

cy·cle·lic·ious adj. Wondericiously full of bicycles. Example: “Hmmm, this website is yummy and cyclelicious.”

Social Media Connections

Find Cyclelicious at these social media locations:

Facebook/bikeblog.

Twitter @Cyclelicious.

Disqus/YokotaFritz (on old nickname)

• May 26, 2011 - 6:59 pm | Permalink

I monitor the comments here and this page is the place for people to tell me about their projects. I’ve responded to most of the people below via private email as I will for you as well.

• Chris
    May 28, 2011 - 8:13 pm | Permalink

Check out http://www.suitsak.com.  These are showing up all over the world.  More people are riding to work than ever before because of The SuitSak.

• Kathleenh101
    May 31, 2011 - 9:48 pm | Permalink

Hello,

I was wondering if you accept guest post for your blog. If you do, I would like to submit a few. I’m a recent college graduate, with an English major, looking to build out my portfolio. I can write on a wide variety of topics and am sure you would be happy with the quality. Please email me back if you are interested. Thank you for your time.

– Kathleen Hubert

• Danny
    June 1, 2011 - 10:12 am | Permalink

I love your blog, you have some great content and we would love to be a part of it via guest posting if that is an option?

We make top quality bicycle products like bike lights and HD cameras for cycling.

Have a look at our products here http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk and let me know if you can accept a guest post

• Michael Deleon
    June 9, 2011 - 2:45 pm | Permalink
  • Bixwilson
    June 14, 2011 - 12:35 pm | Permalink

Seen this? http://pilotonline.com/2011/06/strewn-thumbtacks-create-chaos-cyclists

• June 14, 2011 - 2:48 pm | Permalink

@Bix – gah, no I hadn’t. :-(

• Bob C Ruddy
    June 15, 2011 - 11:33 am | Permalink

I read and really enjoy your blog. Unfortunatly I’m writing to you to point out the story of a hit and run incident that killed a NYC cyclist visiting PA.

Info about the incident: http://www.phillyburbs.com/my_town/quakertown/reward-offered-in-bicyclist-hit-and-run/article_1dc2644e-6842-50f0-9dd1-10902ff8c8dc.html

A local (local to the incident) club who never knew the cyclist has spear headed a reward campaign to help find the driver: http://www.cbbikeclub.org/

Bob C Ruddy

• Rob
    June 22, 2011 - 7:39 pm | Permalink

Hi Richard,
    We are doing publicity for Ross Goldstein’s new book, Chain Reaction. Hailed as a “real contribution to the sports literature canon,” by Sports Illustrated writer L. Jon
    Wertheim, Ross’ new novel is a coming of age story set against the backdrop of
    the cutthroat, competitive world of professional bicycle
    racing. If you are interested in receiving additional information or a book to review please email me [email protected].
    Thanks,
    Rob

• KontactBike.com
    June 29, 2011 - 6:00 pm | Permalink

I thought your readers might be interested in knowing about a new bicycle saddle brand, http://www.kontactbike.com . Here’s some info…

For anyone who complains about the pressure and discomfort from
    their bicycle seat, the Kontact Anatomical bicycle saddle offers a sleek,
    research-based design to improve blood flow and relieve soft tissue pressure
    while cycling, without the need for a cut-out. Based on the research of Joshua
    Cohen PT, MS, the Kontact saddle exhibits a patented decreased angle between
    the nose of the saddle and the rear support surface, as well as a flatter rear
    surface to support the sit bones instead of the pressing into the soft tissues.
    These design features allow the rider to remain over the wider rear section of
    the saddle for better pressure distribution. The saddle is marketed towards
    recreational and competitive riders and allows for increased ease of leg
    motion, which may help in increasing cadence and power. Joshua is also the
    author of Finding
    the Perfect Bicycle Seat, a book that details the anatomy and design
    considerations of bicycle saddles. More
    information can be found at http://www.kontactbike.com

• Ken
    June 29, 2011 - 6:29 pm | Permalink

Sausalito gets wood!
    Renovo
    Design of Portland is opening a showroom for their innovative hardwood and
    laminated bamboo bicycles in Sausalito, California July 2nd. These
    custom, lightweight, handmade, hollow-frame bicycles have received worldwide
    acclaim, raced at the Ironman World Championships, and recently earned the 4
    ring logo from the carmaker Audi, for whom Renovo now produces bicycles.
    Renovo Design: 1401 Bridgeway, Suite D, Sausalito,

Grand Opening July 2-4, Hours:  Saturday: 10-9, Sunday: 10-6, Monday: 10-3

Regular hours: Thursday: 12-6, Friday-Sunday: 10-6

For more information, please contact Ken Wheeler:
    503-231-4888 or [email protected]

• Noah
    July 7, 2011 - 4:04 pm | Permalink

Hey, I thought you might appreciate this new Road Bike Comparison Tool

It’s a pretty innovative way of finding the right bike to buy, let me know if you’d be interested in a post or have any questions, I’m always looking for feedback from an expert!

Noah  [email protected]

• Jess
    August 3, 2011 - 11:00 am | Permalink

Hi Richard,

I’m hoping you could help me.

I work on online marketing for http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/ and
    am looking to promote sports sunglasses through links and banners on
    interesting and exciting websites/blogs such as your site.

Is advertising with us something you would consider?

Kind Regards,

Jess Tonking

• August 9, 2011 - 2:24 am | Permalink

Hello,

Seeing if you would like to write and post a film review on my new film Career Courier? Trailer is linked here.
    If you would like to review the I can send a screener copy.

Thanks,

Kenton

• August 9, 2011 - 6:21 pm | Permalink

I contacted Kenton privately.

• Vbradley
    August 11, 2011 - 2:49 am | Permalink

Richard,

I
    wanted to share an additional biking resource from FindTheBest that I thought
    may be valuable to your readers.

While
    I hate riding an exercise bike myself, sometimes they’re a necessary evil, as
    I’m sure you know.  Having a nice stationary has really helped me keep my
    training consistent through rain and snow (Michigan weather).

I see
    that you’ve linked to our road bike comparison, I’d like to offer this
    comparison to you as well and also offer a guest blog post if you’d like.
     Completely up to you, but I thought it might be a good way for you to get
    some good content and save some time.

Vincent
    [email protected]

• Erica
    August 11, 2011 - 8:28 pm | Permalink

I represent these amazing new bikes called Xdream bikes –
    Trixter who I suspect you may have heard of makes them.  http://www.trixter.net/xdream

The bikes combine the entertainment and competition of video
    games, with fitness.  The bikes take a
    tradition stationary bike and add an upper body component with laterally
    rotating handlebars, hand brakes and hand gears.  To add to the entertainment value, Xdream added a video
    simulation screen that allows the biker to race themselves, the machine or
    people sitting on the Xdream bike next to them. The machine records unique
    users so as a biker completes each course, the machine presents harder courses
    and faster competition.

If you let me know where you are based I could point you to
    a gym that has them and you could give them a try yourself!

Erica
    [email protected]

• Erica
    August 11, 2011 - 8:28 pm | Permalink

I represent these amazing new bikes called Xdream bikes –

The bikes combine the entertainment and competition of video
    games, with fitness.  The bikes take a
    tradition stationary bike and add an upper body component with laterally
    simulation screen that allows the biker to race themselves, the machine or
    people sitting on the Xdream bike next to them. The machine records unique
    users so as a biker completes each course, the machine presents harder courses
    and faster competition.

If you let me know where you are based I could point you to
    a gym that has them and you could give them a try yourself!

Erica
    [email protected]

• Erica
    August 11, 2011 - 8:28 pm | Permalink

I represent these amazing new bikes called Xdream bikes –

The bikes combine the entertainment and competition of video
    games, with fitness.  The bikes take a
    tradition stationary bike and add an upper body component with laterally
    simulation screen that allows the biker to race themselves, the machine or
    people sitting on the Xdream bike next to them. The machine records unique
    users so as a biker completes each course, the machine presents harder courses
    and faster competition.

If you let me know where you are based I could point you to
    a gym that has them and you could give them a try yourself!

Erica
    [email protected]

• William Powers
    August 23, 2011 - 5:31 pm | Permalink

How do I send ya’ll a tip?  A company called Pumptire has invented the worlds first bicycle tire that inflates itself, its on Kickstarter now, they need help spreading the word.  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/81926444/pumptire-self-inflating-bicycle-tire

• August 24, 2011 - 4:14 pm | Permalink

You have a real fun website, lots of interesting ideas all pooled into a great big stream.  I’ve not laughed so much for ages.

I retired last year and I felt that many tourists and specifically North American’s were ripped off when they go on biking tours around the world, I found people paying $4000 to tour for 2 weeks in Italy when the costs were closer to $1250.  I also felt that bike tours tended to be for the fit young (mainly men) and couples.  Bike tours struggle to be a family holiday as there is always someone who is not fit enough, injured, who has not ridden for half a life time etc..

As a result I’ve posted a website who tells people how to manage their own self guided bike tours in Europe in flat areas (got to look after those knees) with strong transport support available from local trains (remember Europe has a well developed train system).  All the info is for free and easy access from bike hire to local foods.

If it is of interest to anyone it’s at http://www.mybikeguide.co.uk

And hi to the Veloist, I saw you further down the page.

Bilbo

• Monkeyshinesoap
    September 7, 2011 - 2:40 pm | Permalink

Please, if you are the same person as the Kilowatt bike company owner/creator, it would be very nice of you to call us back about the problems we are having with the Kilowatt bike we purchased in April.  I love this bike and need help. You can write to me at [email protected].  Thanks~Lori and Ben Byers

• Grace
    September 23, 2011 - 5:14 am | Permalink

Hi Cyclelicious,

I just put out a free, non-commercial magazine on international bicycle touring. You can download it here:  http://www.bicycletraveler.nl

• October 2, 2011 - 12:31 am | Permalink

Hey William,

I checked it out too. Thought it was pretty cool, seems like it might need a kevlar liner just in case you happen to be traveling down N. Williams or Vancouver Ave. http://bikeportland.org/2011/09/26/500-reward-offered-in-vancouverwilliams-tack-incident-59662  …oops.

So I’m pretty new to posting but thought this might be of interest to someone out there. I have no idea where this post will go or too whom this post is going but do find this sight interesting and dare I say “cutting edge”.

Here’s one I bet you haven’t seen. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRainfish it may just be an idea whos time has come (at least in Portland Or.) where the avg. annual rainfall is a mere 37.5 inches (nearly 1 meter for the rest of you blokes).

Thanks cyclelicious
    Rainfish

• October 2, 2011 - 1:16 am | Permalink

Wow Richard,

You got a lot of pictures on your flicker thing. Ok so, I think I know how this works now and want to say “hi there, great site”. A guy could spend a lot of time just trying to check everything out.

I’m riding by the seat of my pants here a little and mostly have no idea what I’m doing but here goes.

I invented this thing (I’ll call it an umbrella to keep it simple). Where I come from it seems like it would be a useful tool. I’ve used it and found it to be functional and stable when in motion as mounted to a bike (not your typical umbrella). So now I’m comming out of the closet with it and have posted it recently on youtube.

Not too sure this is the proper avenue to take with this sort of thing and I dont have any experience doing this so if I flub this up or say something wrong or inappropriate Please set me straight.

Sincerely
    Rainfish umbrella

PS. Look I have two posts right next to one another…sorry for the excessive waste of space. Oops, it didn’t turn out the way I expected it to eather (wanted to send my latest video but I still need to upload it).

• Greg Meckstroth
    October 2, 2011 - 2:33 pm | Permalink

Hello,
     I am a follower of Cyclelicious and certainly a fan.  I write for UrbanIndy and UrbanOut if you are at all familiar. I recently became involved with a non-profit organization called EverybodyWalk.org and thought of your blog as a possible partner in helping me get the message out about the organization.   You could partner through two easy ways:1.  Feature EveryBodyWalk’s link on your site/blogroll2. Provide me your site logo to be featured on EveryBodyWalk’s urban development/urbanism section here          EverybodyWalk, a site powered by Kaiser Permanente, has asked me to help their efforts in expanding their presence across the country to help develop content on sustainable/walkable communities and their benefits on walking habits.  Thus, I am attempting to get the site’s link up on popular site’s blogrolls.  Are you at all interested?  Let me know.
    In case you are curious about what EverybodyWalk does, well here you go: we’re a nonprofit wellness campaign, and our goal is to encourage people to get up, get out, and get walking for 30 minutes, every day. We believe a huge part of getting people to become more active is creating and sustaining an environment and community that encourages these types of activities.

I would love to discuss opportunities to work together through social media, particularly through Facebook and Twitter.  Let me know if you’re interested! We’d also like to welcome you to utilize articles and videos on our site, and post them on your blog. We hope that by sharing our content, you’ll be able to grow your audience as well.  Likewise, we’d be happy to feature your work on EverybodyWalk, with full credit and a link to your blog.
     Please feel free to reach out with any questions. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you, Greg [email protected]://twitter.com/everybodywalkhttp://facebook.com/everybodywalk

• October 2, 2011 - 10:57 pm | Permalink

Hello Richard,

I figured I’d say “hello and thanks” here because I’m not very familiar with Twitter and how to use it. Thats nice of you to follow me even though I’m a little lost, maybe you could tell me how to follow you… that might be better.

So anyway here is the video, I guess, if thats ok… I see other people post stuff here for you to check out. Which is kinda handy by the way, like I said ” a guy could spend a lot of time trying to check every thing out”. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRainfish I'm pretty happy to have captured this, even though its a little bouncy and it wasn’t the down pour I was hoping for. No telling when I’ll have all the elements in place again, rain, daylight and someone to hold the borrowed camera. For what its worth I’m having fun with it.

Oh and by the way I titled it “Rainfish ride with rain”. I saw the photos from your Gran ride, an event best held without rain for sure. I’m just a recreational rider but that looked kicka$$ (please excuse the French, I know it’s an Italian named event).

Cheers
    Rainfish

• Rainfish umbrella
    October 3, 2011 - 4:49 pm | Permalink

Hey there Richard,

I think I’m following you now. Not sure what DM is, I’m at [email protected] and [email protected] I thought I could just tweet this to you (and in fact I did) but Twitter sent me a email saying thats not safe. I hope this is safe? Oh yeah when I logged back in to delet tweet (you probably already know) I’m following you… dude (sorry for the language) I really am clueless.

Best
    Rainfish

• ozan
    October 30, 2011 - 6:34 am | Permalink

Hi , I am Ozan from Turkey. There is a cycling video, and I just want to share with you, songs, editing i really like it, hope you like !http://vimeo.com/29840028

• November 11, 2011 - 3:12 am | Permalink

Hi,

I’m the co-founder of carbuzz.co.uk, a car research site. Together with one of our contributors, who’s also a SRAM technician we’ve put together an in-depth article titled “What drivers can do to be more cyclist aware” and thought you might be interested in taking a look. We’d love you to share it and spread the message.

It’s already been getting a passionate response from 100s of cyclists and even drivers, people seem very surprised that a car site has posted it!

Kind Regards,

Alexandra

• November 11, 2011 - 10:42 am | Permalink

Thanks Alexandra. Saw it (via Carlton Reid, I think), tweeted it and posted to Google Plus :-)

Richard Masoner

• Stan
    November 22, 2011 - 2:10 pm | Permalink

Hi Richard. I thought you might enjoy a project myself and a good friend have been working on for the last 2 years, called ‘Bicycle Portraits’. Our 6000 kilometer journey around South Africa by bicycle aimed to be a photographic study of South African commuter culture (something that is nearly non-existent here), but it’s turned into a portrait of a nation through the bicycles that they own and ride every day, revealing all manner of social, historical, class and cultural nuances never imagined. We are about to publish the best 165 portraits (from over 500 photographed) in book form, accompanied by 6 essays and beautiful watercolor maps for each portrait indicating where it was photographed. We are currently in the last phase of fundraising through pre-sales of the books (plus great extras like prints and special editions) on the wonderful Kickstarter platform.

Please have a look at http://www.bicycleportraits.co.za/kickstarter for our Kickstarter page, or visit http://www.bicycleportraits.co.za to see the project online – and please spread the word!

Hope you like it! Ride safe!

Stan.

Stan Engelbrecht
    Day One Publishing, South Africa
    +27(0)82 928 6586
    [email protected]
    silencebegan (Skype)
    /bicycleportrait (Twitter)

December 6, 2011 - 4:59 pm | Permalink
    December 25, 2011 - 8:16 am | Permalink

Happy Holidays!
    A Big Reg Bicycle Christmas:

• December 27, 2011 - 5:34 pm | Permalink

Thank you, and a Happy New Year to you!

• David Pulliam
    January 2, 2012 - 4:50 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if you’ve heard about this new law regarding cycling in Indiana. Thought I would pass it on: http://www.masson.us/blog/?p=8053

• January 2, 2012 - 6:12 pm | Permalink

THank you David. Posted here http://www.cyclelicio.us/2012/indiana-3-foot-law/

• Jtiernan12
    January 12, 2012 - 5:14 pm | Permalink

Check out this awesome new product! It’s called the Cleverhood. It’s ideal for urban bike commuting. http://www.cleverhood.com and @cleverhood:twitter. It’s seriously worth checking out.

• Zelda Mouhoutar
    February 17, 2012 - 3:28 am | Permalink

Hi,

An original scooter-bike has been designed through a
    crowd-innovation online process. You might be interested by the story,
    developped in Bordeaux : http://bit.ly/AxkfIq

Zelda Mouhoutar
    Bordeaux Digital City Initiative

• Bikesavr Bill
    February 28, 2012 - 2:46 pm | Permalink

Hello Cyclelicious

Thought you and your followers might like knowing about http://www.bikesavr.com.  Biksavr is an Iphone app that reminds its users just before they get home that their bike/gear is on top of the vehicle so the users don’t forget and crash it into the garage.  Lets us know what you think!  Thanks

• Scalleycatreno
    March 6, 2012 - 4:36 pm | Permalink

Greetings,You and your comrades are invited to race in the Scalleycat Doomsday Edition 24 hour alley-cat race in Reno, Nevada on March 30-31. We invite you and a partner to venture deep into the heart of the wild wild west to race for the title of Scalleycat Champion. It’s 25$ per team, 40$ for two t-shirts. The winner of the race gets the purse (around $1,000), plus schwag, plus endless bragging rights.  At the race you’ll be given a Scalleycat Bible with instructions and directions to complete hundreds of scavenger-hunt-style manifests for points. There are many different ways to race in Scalleycat, the manifests will take you across the Great Basin for over 200 miles, they’ll have you chasing tourists and kissing strangers, taking shots of whiskey and chugging tons of PBR, you’ll explore Reno from top to bottom and have a hellofatime doing it. You think you’ve done an alleycat before? You’ve never done one like the Scalleycat in Reno, Nevada.Bring a camera- you’ll use it to take photos of all the tasks you complete. No Camera=No Evidence=No Points. Bring a partner! No Partner=No Points. Bring a bike. Enough said.
    We hope you’ll make your way to Reno, Nevada on March 30th for a race that is sure to be an apocalyptic test of your endurance, your stamina, your alcohol tolerance and your urban survival skills. Be ready to get buck wild.

Need help finding a place to stay? Email [email protected] and we’ll help you out. Want to see some pictures of past ScalleyCats? Check out the flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scalleycat/Like Scalleycat on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ScalleyCat/206584169358557Cheers,ScalleyCat Masters

• March 14, 2012 - 3:31 pm | Permalink

Hi Richard,

Love your blog! I just started one myself called “Bike to Brew for the pedaling gastronomer.” Check it out if you’re interested! :)

Keep pedaling and writing,
    Brenda

• Kathleenh101
    March 19, 2012 - 12:08 pm | Permalink

Hello,

– Kathleen Hubert

• Juan
    April 5, 2012 - 10:47 am | Permalink

Hey Richard, Have you seen Rupa’s upcoming Bicycle Tour through the Bay Area, CA?
    http://pressjunkiepr.com/clients/rupa/Let me know if you’re interested in any coverage ([email protected])

• Juan
    April 5, 2012 - 10:49 am | Permalink

here’s the link again, it came out broken in the previous message.

• Kmjdebay
    April 13, 2012 - 8:23 pm | Permalink

I thought you’d be interested in this tragic story:  http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_20347468/father-daughter-killed-concord-vehicle-accident?source=most_emailed
    The victims are relatives of one of my students. Now, none of the other students want to ride their bikes.

• Rivka
    April 18, 2012 - 7:57 am | Permalink

Hi all,

I’m writing about a free new bike registry.  I work at an asset tag company, but of course it’s the bike that’s important to me and so it’s bikes that I’m hoping to help track.  Everybody’s lost a bike (or had one been stolen), and the registry can give you a free, pre-registered ID, and free asset tags with the ID on them for your bike.  If your bike is lost or stolen, or shows up in a police storeroom somewhere, one scan of the QR code on the bike (or one read of the ID :) ) can direct a lovely good Samaritan to your bike page.

In other words, a free system that’ll help you keep track of your bike.

If you’re interested in sharing this with your readers (or in signing up), drop me a line.  I’m at rivka [at] smartsign.com; the registry is at http://www.myassettag.com/bike.

– Rivka

• Hunter
    May 15, 2012 - 3:44 pm | Permalink

thought you’d enjoy this article on Tziporah Salamon, 62 year old street fashion icon who rides around NY everyday on her Celeste Bianchi

Cheers!

Hunter

• John Dwyer
    May 17, 2012 - 3:08 pm | Permalink
  • Greg
    June 7, 2012 - 8:50 pm | Permalink

Richard,

Could you please help our non-profit get the word out by posting our press release scheduled for tomorrow.  Below is part of the release:

In 2012, the Junior Racing Foundation will activate high school aged Youth in Oakland, CA and Fukuoka, Japan by hosting the Sister City Summer Bicycle Velodrome Racing Challenge.

Our program will be held in the Hellyer Velodrome (San Jose, CA) and Kurume City Keirin Stadium (Fukuoka, Japan) from June 20th to August 22nd 2012. 1984 Olympic Silver medalist Nelson Vails, 2012 PanAm triple medalist Beth Newell and other former professional and Olympic medalist will be guest motivational speakers.
    “Coming from Harlem to Olympic Silver through a youth program I see the need for Junior Racing Foundation and support it”— Nelson VailsThanks in advance![email protected]