Warren asks “WHY?” about his bike commute today when it was 19°F (-7°C) outside. I live in sunny and warm California now, but some benefits that I recall:
- I don’t worry about a dead car battery.
- I don’t shovel my entire driveway just to back the car into the street.
- I don’t sweep snow off of my car and into my face.
- I don’t spray deicer into my door lock.
- I don’t take 15 minutes scraping ice from a windshield.
- I don’t have to warm my car up for 20 minutes.
- It’s fun to stroll into the office “under” dressed while I’m munching on an ice cream sandwich.
What are some other side benefits to commuting on bike in the winter cold?
Speaking of the cold, Sue has posted more bike haikus from Illinois. CICLE posted something about Milwaukeeeans who bike through the winter. One Love One Gear posts links to several winter cycling resources.
Photo: “Ice Scraper” by Marilylle Soveran.