$4.01 per gallon

That’s the price per gallon of regular unleaded gasoline at this Shell gas station in Palo Alto this evening.

$4.01 per gallon in Palo Alto!

It shot up a nickel from this morning when it was priced at $3.969. At other stations in Palo Alto a more typical price is around $3.88 per gallon. What’s gasoline running for in your area?

April 9, 2008 - 1:47 am | Permalink

How much for air?
    Jack

April 9, 2008 - 8:47 am | Permalink

How much for air?Jack

April 9, 2008 - 3:40 am | Permalink

April 9, 2008 - 10:40 am | Permalink

$9.50 a (imperial) gallon in the UK with current exchange rates, so about $8 for a US gallonPeople still buy cars that do less than 25 mpg here :( but at least riding a cycle makes me proportionally richer :)

• A Midnight Rider
    April 9, 2008 - 5:14 am | Permalink

I wonder how bad it would be if we had two oil men running the country? Oh wait…..

• A Midnight Rider
    April 9, 2008 - 12:14 pm | Permalink

April 9, 2008 - 5:33 am | Permalink

Up in Halifax, Canada, it's $1.182 CAD/L = $4.43 USD/US Gallon, says Google. It used to be more expensive, but the low US dollar is evening things out…

April 9, 2008 - 12:33 pm | Permalink

• Warren T
    April 9, 2008 - 7:23 am | Permalink

Last night I noticed $3.20.9 per gallon in Prairie Village Kansas.

I still prefer coffee and M&M's as my fuel of choice.

• Warren T
    April 9, 2008 - 2:23 pm | Permalink

Last night I noticed $3.20.9 per gallon in Prairie Village Kansas.I still prefer coffee and M&M's as my fuel of choice.

April 9, 2008 - 7:29 am | Permalink

April 9, 2008 - 2:29 pm | Permalink

Over $1/Litre is historically very high for Canadians, right? Canada exports quite a bit now from Alberta to the USA these days.Warren, Product W is a performance enhancing drug — be careful you don't get caught!

• Michael
    April 9, 2008 - 7:49 am | Permalink

Don't get mad…but I filled up at $2.979 a gallon a few nights ago. For everything people say about New Jersey, our gas prices are still the best (plus we don't need to get out of our cars to pump it!).

• Michael
    April 9, 2008 - 2:49 pm | Permalink

April 9, 2008 - 11:12 am | Permalink

when i left the costco up in i work at last night, it was 3.669. i live in humboldt county, and most of the places charge 5-10 cents more, while shell charges 20 cents more. they seem to consistently charge the most for gas.

April 9, 2008 - 6:12 pm | Permalink

• willow naeco
    April 9, 2008 - 4:14 pm | Permalink

The last time I drove (2001), it was 99 cents a gallon. Gas will never be priced high enough to replace the lives of those killed in order to fill someone's gas tank, those killed by the pollutants, and those killed by the morons driving.

• willow naeco
    April 9, 2008 - 11:14 pm | Permalink

• James T.
    April 10, 2008 - 9:05 am | Permalink

Great! I wish gas prices would hit that level here in South Carolina. We probably have the cheapest gas in the nation, currently around $3.15, but that doesn't stop people from complaining about the prices. Still, with summer blends kicking in, I hope we will hit the 4 dollar mark soon. There has to be a point where people stop just complaining and actually change their habits.

• James T.
    April 10, 2008 - 4:05 pm | Permalink

April 11, 2008 - 2:35 am | Permalink

ha ha ha hello, i'm french and here it is 1.5 €/L I don't know for a gallon sory….

April 11, 2008 - 9:35 am | Permalink

• Matthias [aka cerrotorre]
    April 11, 2008 - 4:54 am | Permalink

if i can trust my calculator, the price for 1 gallon here in Italy is about 8.24 US$ !!

• Matthias [aka cerrotorre]
    April 11, 2008 - 11:54 am | Permalink

April 22, 2008 - 3:56 am | Permalink

we're up to $3.50 us per gallon, but last year was $2.50, and few years ago was $1.50 or less… so it's quite a bit higher than usual.

April 22, 2008 - 10:56 am | Permalink

May 21, 2008 - 9:06 am | Permalink

It costs way to much to run your car here expecially when you only get 18mpg :(

May 21, 2008 - 4:06 pm | Permalink

At the moment in the UK it costs about £5.04 U.K pound per gallon which works out at about $9.85 U.S Dollar.It costs way to much to run your car here expecially when you only get 18mpg :(