Retiring representative Ray LaHood from Illinois has apparently been chosen as Barack Obama’s Secretary of Transportation. So far, transit advocates are less than thrilled with this pick.
- California HSR blog: Ray LaHood – HSR Denier
- Streetsblog: “You have got to be freaking kidding me”, though this year LaHood supported two public transportation acts in Congress.
- Rich Layman: Ray LaHood is bad news in transportation.
- Grist: This makes no sense at all to me.
- The Austin Bike Blog notes LaHood is a member of the Congressional Bike Caucus, though he also represents an area of downstate Illinois, a region I personally think is the least bike friendly in the nation.
- On energy issues, LaHood consistently voted in favor of bills that restrict the use of fossil fuels.
- Last year, Ray LaHood co-sponsored a Bicycle Commuter Benefit bill with Earl Blumenauer and 65 other co-sponsors.
- Ray LaHood supported bicycling provisions [PDF] in the 1997 ISTEA transportation funding bill.
What are your thoughts on Obama’s apparent selection of Ray LaHood as Transportation Secretary?