Sanyo Eneloop Bicycle

I’m reviewing the Sanyo Eneloop bicycle — an electric assist bike — for Momentum Magazine. Watch for the review in a month or two.

Sara

I can’t say much about it here yet, but suffice to say that my wife absolutely loves it. She’s always been of the opinion that electric assist is cheating, but here she is trying it on a grocery run and having a blast.

• SiouxGeonz
    November 18, 2009 - 12:14 am | Permalink

My Trek dealer just sent an email saying they were going to start carrying Trek's version; that they're ready for prime time. I'm not ready for 'em yet — there's no such thing as a free lunch — but could be they'll be better thanbike lanes at getting people out there. We'll see!

• SiouxGeonz
    November 17, 2009 - 5:14 pm | Permalink

November 18, 2009 - 12:17 am | Permalink

The Sanyo rep told me he wants to sell these through traditional bike shops, but they've been very resistant to selling any kind of ebike. So far the Sanyo bikes are available through dealers that specialize in electric bikes and scooters.

November 18, 2009 - 12:17 am | Permalink

November 17, 2009 - 5:17 pm | Permalink

• Andreas
    November 18, 2009 - 8:40 am | Permalink

Hopefully the people that will switch to these are car users rather than cyclists switching to electric bikes. It is definitely still not as eco friends as just pedalling – I hear a lot of their batteries get disgarded and there's not a lot you can do with them.

• Andreas
    November 18, 2009 - 1:40 am | Permalink

November 18, 2009 - 6:25 pm | Permalink

@Andreas – I think another good market would be those with physical limitations of some kind, from age, injury or disease, perhaps. LiIon batteries are easily recycled, but I think you're right that most of them just get discarded.

November 18, 2009 - 6:25 pm | Permalink

Your experience is the same as mine

• cycling
    November 19, 2009 - 2:48 am | Permalink

Your experience is the same as mine

• PJ Blank
    April 5, 2012 - 11:10 pm | Permalink

I have to add my two cents here.  I am 59 (5’11” 170 lbs.) and have bad knees.  Inherited ‘em from my parents, and no “exercise” is going to make my joints hurt a lot less.  So I have a Currie iZip Trailz Enlightened bike (26″ mountain bike tires).  I can assure you that it’s not “cheating” when I can’t ride even 2 miles with a conventional bike, but I can do well over 20 with my iZip.  And believe me it’s work to pedal that far.  No twist-throttle, strictly pedal-assist or manual pedaling.  I typically leave it in the highest gear, set at minimum assist, and the bike excels at helping me with starts and hills, where I need it most – and yes I do some downshifting uphill.  It’s not perfect, no regenerative braking, but a nicely built machine, 24 speed (too many!) and very impressive battery life per ride. Note: after a year, the battery is getting flaky.  I know this because I also have an iZip Trekking Enlightened, pretty much the same bike with 700mm skinny road tires, and its battery has much more charge left after a ride, like the Trailz once did.  Unfortunately for me, they only give me 6 mos. warranty on the battery, and replacement is EXPENSIVE.  Sigh.