Quick survey of dark Federal government websites

Off topic: Most Federal agency websites I’ve visited seem to be up, though they all include a message that information may not be up to date and requests will not be processed due to the Federal government shutdown.

A few Federal government agency websites have made their entire content unavailable, though. Several redirect to notice.usa.gov with a generic “we sincerely regret the inconvenience,” while others have their own shutdown notice page. Here’s a list of down pages that I’ve run across:

Nobody is quite sure why these agencies removed their online content.

What websites have you needed information from that you can no longer access due to the Federal shutdown?

• A
    October 1, 2013 - 5:43 pm | Permalink

NIST’s time.gov is dark

• Max Power
    October 1, 2013 - 5:58 pm | Permalink

Electronic Washington Monument Syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_Syndrome

• October 1, 2013 - 6:52 pm | Permalink

Excellent; I wondered if this has a name.

• Victor
    October 1, 2013 - 11:01 pm | Permalink

nasa.gov is also down… :( However, many of the science support webpages for space missions (which I need for work!) are up with a notice on top stating: “Due to the government shutdown, information on this website may not be up to date. For information about available government services, visit USA.gov”, such as http://fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov/ssc/

• gneiss
    October 2, 2013 - 2:41 am | Permalink

usgs.gov is down. It’s an important site for tracking earthquakes and getting information about earth hazards.

• Jim
    October 3, 2013 - 11:25 pm | Permalink

I was in a meeting the other day with a furloughed federal employee who said that delivering information via a federal agency website is a form of “work” provided by the employees of that agency and thus subject to the government shutdown. I took this to mean that the Administrative branch of the government shrewdly understands the benefits of taking the shutdown quite literally — not that I entirely disagree with the strategy, esp. if it brings the maximum pressure to bear on those whose bluff has been called.