The caption for this photo: “Bicycle party resting at San Jose Depot, 1898. ”
People would bike from San Francisco to San Jose, and then up the East Bay to Oakland, where they caught the ferry back to San Francisco. That’s 100 miles wearing heavy tweed while cycling on dirt roads. The current train depot in San Jose, Diridon Station, was constructed 37 years after this photo was shot, so this shows the old Southern Pacific Depot located in downtown San Jose at Market and Bassett Streets.
This image comes from UC Berkeley Bancroft Library and is available from the Online Archive of California.