Happy Friday to you.
All of you Internet bicycle lawyers who access the CA DMV website to read the California vehicle have noticed the old URLs no longer give valid information. As far as I can tell, CA DMV hasn’t published any kind of notice about this change. Because no error is returned, Google doesn’t know to recrawl the site for the new links. CA DMV now also embeds some kind of session code in the URLs, which further adds to the challenges faced by a search engine robot.
I hunted around and found the new CA DMV web pages. Here are some links for your handy dandy reference.
- California Vehicle Code Complete Table of Contents, Subject Index, and Appendices .
- California Vehicle Code Table of Contents by Division. Rules of the Road are under Division 11.
- Operation of Bicycles is covered under Division 11, Chapter 1, Article 4.
- California’s Far to the Right Law is covered under CVC 21202.
- California overtaking and passing rules are covered under Division 11, Chapter 3, Article 3.
- The Three Feet for Safety law is CVC 21760.
- The driver shown in the photo above is violating CVC 22450, which says drivers must stop before the stop bar or crosswalk.
- CVC 21453 authorizes a right turn on red after a complete stop.
Please leave your suggestions for other Vehicle Code links that are helpful for cyclists and I’ll add them to this list.
There’s a selection for English / Spanish at the top of these DMV pages. The header material will change to Spanish if you select Spanish, but the vehicle code text itself is still in English. If you know how to access the Spanish version of the vehicle code text (apart from the PDF download) please let me know.