Helmetography

Have I mentioned helmetography on these pages yet?

Night Helmetography

Helmetography is what Aixe Djelal in Portland, OR calls her accidental photography as she rides around with her helmet-mounted Contour camera. The camera is programmed to shoot a photo every five seconds. She selects the best and posts them to her blog, Bicycle Head.

Her photos are generally much better than mine. I use a GoPro Hero2, which also has a five second intervalometer function. The above was shot last night during my commute on the Guadalupe River Trail in San Jose, California.

• January 31, 2014 - 8:11 am | Permalink

Her photos are amazing. What gets me is all the other cyclists in them. I can’t even imagine what that must be like. Not counting Saturday group rides, so far this year I’ve seen one other cyclist.

• January 31, 2014 - 8:31 am | Permalink

Those are rather crisp shots! Says she uses a Contour Roam2. I have the original GoPro, an oddly enough the pictures are awful unless I’m moving. This makes me want to try out the Contour…

And +1 to Bradley. Can’t say the last time I’ve seen another cyclist around here. There’s been maybe 2 people I’ve caught up to on my 3 mile commute in about 5 years. For a bike friendly area, we’ve got pretty few commuters. :(

Also, I’d love to have those type of photos automatically become by desktop background. If anyone has ideas of how to do that, I’d love to hear them.

• January 31, 2014 - 10:51 am | Permalink

@Andy, you need a new camera my friend :-) The image of the rider at twilight in this post was shot with a Hero2. Still not as good as Aixe’s Contour IMO, but much better than what’s available with the original Hero.

• rosie
    January 31, 2014 - 11:04 am | Permalink

I was researching and came across your website ( http://www.cyclelicio.us/chp/deadindex.html ) regarding information Fatalities Reported By California Highway Patrol 2011 2012 2013 I would like to ask you would you have a report of 2010 california regarding information Fatalities in california

• January 31, 2014 - 11:13 am | Permalink
  • January 31, 2014 - 4:34 pm | Permalink

I’ll have to consider it. I’ll have lots of new land to roam in the west in a few weeks.

• February 1, 2014 - 9:38 am | Permalink

Thanks for carrying the helmetography torch, Richard, and talking about what I’m doing with Bicyclehead! I take Portland’s bike scene for granted, but these comments are a good reminder that I live and ride in a rather unusual city. There is a bike counter on the Hawthorne Bridge that logged over 2 million trips in one year. http://bikeportland.org/2013/09/26/hawthorne-bridge-counter-logs-over-2-million-trips-in-just-over-one-year-94524#more-94524

• Pingback: Link roundup: February 3 | Tucson VeloTucson Velo