There’s a pre-season football game between the Santa Clara 49ers and …. somebody else coming up on Sunday. This is the first football game in the new Levi’s Stadium at the north end of Santa Clara, CA. I’ve updated the Levi’s Stadium bike directions page to reflect the experiences of those who attended the inaugural stadium event in which the San Jose Earthquakes defeated the Sounders the other week.
I also received replies in response to the concerns I outlined about bicycle access from the Santa Clara Bicycle Advisory Committee and from Levi’s Stadium officials.
To wit, a summary of my concerns and the responses I received from Levi’s Stadium operations:
- Trail closure surprises: “We are currently planning on placing permanent signage at the trail which will identify which days the trail will be closed.”
- Trail detour: “We apologize for the inconvenience. Moving forward the staff will have a map which will detail the detour, so they can distribute.”
- No bike parking at Red Lots 1 and 6: (This turned out to be partially incorrect, though that was due to information provided by stadium ushers): ” There was available bicycle parking in Red Lot 1; you are correct Red Lot 6 was not set up for bike parking.There will be bike parking in Red Lot 6 moving forward (golf course by David’s). Also this parking will be available for NFL and Non NFL events.”
- Staff did not know location of bike parking, bike detours, etc: “We are sorry to hear and will make sure that all staff are aware moving forward. We appreciate your input.”
- Insufficient bike parking: (My bad, again due to information provided by stadium ushers on the game day) “I am not quite sure about the above, as the Red Lot 1 accommodates 750 bikes plus it was not filled to capacity. We will keep an eye on this.”
I’m told these stadium issues will be on the Santa Clara Bicycle Advisory Committee agenda for next Wednesday, August 20, 2014, though as of this writing the agenda is not available online. The BAC members I’ve spoken with are concerned about the issues as well.
For the updated bike access information for Levi’s stadium, please click here.