This morning, Southern California Public Radio KPCC in Pasadena, CA ran a special “Biking in Southern California” program in place of the Car Talk reruns they normally play at 10 AM on Saturday.
- Sorry mountain bikers, nothing for you.
- The history and the state of commuting and recreational riding on L.A. County streets (“We’re not Portland yet.”)
- Route-finding tips and a ride-along with California Bicycle Coalition Vice President Charlie Gandy (“Cycling is dangerous!”)
- Bike maintenance tips with Stan’s Bike Shop in Monrovia. (“Inflate your tires to prevent pinch flats.”)
- Serious road cycling. (“N+1”)
- A long discussion with L.A. City Council Member Tom LaBonge (The show says there’s disagreement among local bike advocates; local bike advocates tell me there’s no disagreement: they all agree Labonge is anti-bike)
- Black Girls Do Ride (“Their eyes get big because they’ve never seen a black woman on a bike!” My favorite segment)
- The first ever CicLAvia for Pasadena tomorrow (Make your own bike movie), and
- The show finished with a traffic report (“We’ve got a big mess southbound on The Golden State at The four-oh-five. The time is 10:59.”)
I’m sure KPCC will archive this show soon; in the meantime, you can listen to my copy of the streaming audio of it here. Click on the orange arrow below. I’ve also made the audio available as an MP3 download for offline listening. KPCC does not license their audio for distribution like I’m doing here, so I will remove this after they post the audio to their website.
Photo of “C.I.C.L.E. Urban Expeditions” CC BY-NC-ND by Al in Glendale.